MCG to ramp-up security after men allegedly took guns into AFL match

Tyler Mitchell By Tyler Mitchell Apr4,2025
Two men will face court after they were allegedly caught with guns at the MCG, after security reportedly failed to do a thorough follow-up search after an alert from entry point screening.
Victoria Police said the weapons were found on each of the men during a search about 8.30pm on Thursday, as a crowd of 82,058 fans watched Collingwood defeat Carlton.
Officers were asked to get involved when the pair refused a request from security to leave the venue over their behaviour, police said.

Counter-terrorism police were called to assess the incident but will have no further involvement, with the probe now in the hands of the crime investigation team.

MCG to introduce additional security measures

In a statement released on Friday morning, AFL CEO Andrew Dillon said security personnel had failed to do a thorough follow-up search of the patrons after an alert from the entry point screening system.
“First thing this morning, I had a conference call with the MCG and Victoria Police,” Dillon said in a statement.
“There will be additional secondary security measures in place this weekend, and the MCC in conjunction with Victoria Police and the AFL will conduct an end to end review of security measures at the ground.”
Dillon said the situation was “extremely disappointing”.
“More than 1.2 million fans have attended the football so far this season and we will work closely with authorities to ensure the matches and venues continue to be a safe and welcoming place for all,” he said.

“Both patrons who were arrested last night will be issued lifetime banning notices from the AFL for attending any match.”

A close-up of a man in a suit speaking.

AFL CEO Andrew Dillon said there would be additional security measures at the MCG this weekend. Source: AAP / Daniel Pockett

Melbourne Cricket Club chief executive Stuart Fox said the incident was “extremely disappointing and upsetting”.

“Our security screening units identified items of concern and further investigation was required,” he said in a statement.
“Our initial internal investigation identified a breakdown in the thoroughness of the secondary and manual screening process.”

He said the “extensiveness” of manual security at the stadium will be increased, so fans can expect delays at upcoming events.

Anthony Albanese, wearing a suit and glasses, is standing in front of two flags.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese praised the Victoria Police officers involved in the search and thanked them for keeping people safe. Source: AAP / Lukas Coch

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese praised the officers involved in the search.

“This is pretty shocking reporting, frankly, that two men tried to do this, it is good that they have been charged,” he told ABC Radio Sydney.

“Frankly, I hope that they get the book thrown at them for this and I do want to thank Victoria Police for their work in keeping people safe.”

Exterior of a sports stadium.

Questions have been raised over MCG security.

AFL Fans Association president Ron Issko was also shocked and said nothing like this had ever happened.

He said any security upgrades must be done urgently.
“Ninety-nine per cent of fans are great. If we’ve got some ratbags, let’s get rid of them,” he said.
“Let’s not allow them come to football, and let’s beef up security if we have to.”
Security at the MCG underwent a security upgrade in 2024, including the rollout of artificial intelligence sensors called Evolve Express.

“Evolv Express uses sensors combined with AI to differentiate between weapons and common metals people carry,” according to the company’s website.

Both men who have been charged were on bail at the time.
A 27-year-old man from Broadmeadows was charged with possessing an unregistered handgun, possessing ammunition without licence, altering the serial number of a firearm, possessing a loaded firearm, possessing a prohibited item and failing to appear on bail.
A 21-year-old man from Roxburgh Park was charged with being a person prohibited from possessing a firearm, possessing ammunition without licence and committing an indictable offence while on bail.
The men were remanded to appear in the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on Friday.

 For the latest from SBS News, and .
Tyler Mitchell

By Tyler Mitchell

Tyler is a renowned journalist with years of experience covering a wide range of topics including politics, entertainment, and technology. His insightful analysis and compelling storytelling have made him a trusted source for breaking news and expert commentary.

Related Post